Hello! Thanks for visiting my blog.

I am on a blogging hiatus as I would like to focus on my jewelry craft work. Hence, I will not be taking in requests for reviews of any nature in the future. If you do have queries on my jewelry work instead, please get in touch via email : oon.adeline@gmail.com

Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Eggplant with Minced Meat and Salted Fish


One of the joys I have is cooking for my family. The fun part is trying to sieve out the flavors of the food that we like while eating out so that I can try to replicate it at home - of course sometimes, I can't do it without some help from the internet!

I was inspired to cook this dish at home after we tried it at a Chinese restaurant. The portion was very small and couldn't satisfy our meal that night so I knew I had to try cooking this. So glad when I see my husband and son ply the eggplant onto their plate of rice repeatedly. It is a good standalone dish. Best part? It is not a daunting dish to prepare at all. (Recipe adapted from The Meatmen)

Preparation time : 10 minutes  Cooking time : 10-12 minutes  Serves : 4

Ingredients :

2 medium size long eggplant (about 1/8-1/4 longer than the size of a palm)
80-100 gm minced meat (I used pork. Minced chicken would work too.)
2 slices of dried salted fish (about 20-30 gm)
1 tbsp minced garlic
1 tbsp minced ginger
Some spring onions, cut into small pieces
Some oil for cooking
Corn flour

Sauce :
a) 1 tbsp oyster sauce
b) 1 tsp light soya sauce
c) 1/2 tsp black soya sauce
d) 1 tsp black vinegar
e) 1 tsp soy bean paste 
f) 1 tsp sugar
g) 1 tbsp shaoxing wine
h) 1 tsp corn flour mix with 1/4 cup water to thicken sauce

Method :
- Firstly, slice the eggplant into wedges and lightly coat it with corn flour.
- Heat your pan with about 3 tbsp of cooking oil, pan fry the eggplant (or deep fry if you must) till slightly soften and browned. Drained and set aside.
- Rinse and cut the salted fish into smaller pieces.
- Prepare a fresh pan with 2 tbsp of oil. Stir fry the salted fish, garlic and ginger till fragrant.
- Add the minced meat, give a good mix and fry till cooked.
- Add the sauces from the above list (a) - (g). Mix well.
- Add in the eggplant and let it stew with the meat for a few minutes.
- Add in the cornflour mix to thicken sauce.
- Add the spring onions and give a final stir.
- Serve and enjoy with piping hot white rice!



Till the next post, have a wonderful day!

Absolutely Me,

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments on my post and thank you in advance for responding! All comments will be moderated before publishing just so that the spammers don't get in the way.

AddThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

.