It was purely out of doubt that made me decide to try out making hasselback potatoes. Clearly, that doubt has benefited the family's love for yet another potato dish we could enjoy at home! Crisp on the outside and creamy on the inside. It's almost like having gourmet potato chips!
This recipe is adapted from Food Network
Preparation time : 5-10 minutes Cooking time : 45-60 minutes
- 2 medium sized potatoes, washed and cleaned (with skin intact)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- black pepper (to taste)
- cajun powder (optional)
- spring onions for garnish
- heat oven at 180 degrees
- thinly slice the potatoes but do not cut through the bottom
- place the potatoes on a shallow baking pan and rub the potatoes through with olive oil and salt.
- bake the potatoes for 30 minutes
- after 30 minutes, take out the potatoes and then baste it with butter. Making sure in goes into the crevices of the potatoes.
- Scatter (lots of) black pepper and some cajun powder for flavouring.
- send it back into the oven and continue baking till crisp for another 30 minutes.
- Once done, garnish with chopped spring onions and serve immediately.
A week after I tried out the above basic hasselback potatoes recipe, I took a step further and stuffed bacon into the crevices of the potatoes! It was simply too good to be true.