I'm sharing a super simple, savory and very satisfying dish - clams simmered in white wine. Not so much a "filling" dish, but great as appetizers if you are entertaining guests or maybe you are on a protein diet. Yes, clams are protein food! You can eat this to your heart's content with no guilt.
Preparation time : 10 mins Cooking time : 15 mins Serves : 3-4
- 600gms fresh clams (razor or venus clams - I bought mine from Sheng Siong)
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 2 tbsp mirin
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp butter
- a few sprigs of chinese parsley
- pepper and salt to taste (optional)
- soak clams in water for at least an hour or more in the fridge and add about a tbsp of salt to water to help with removal of impurities. Seal the bowl in cling wrap.
- When you are ready to cook, rinse the clams thoroughly and drain well.
- in a large stainless steel pot, add butter and garlic. Saute till fragrant.
- add the wine and mirin, let it boil for a minute before adding the clams.
- give it a stir before covering the pot. Let it cook for 10 minutes or until clams have opened.
- discard any unopen clams.
- Add salt or pepper to taste, at your discretion.
- Add the parsley and give it a good mix before serving.
Tip : this dish would go great with baguette with the reduced sauce! Yum!