Hello! Thanks for visiting my blog.

I am on a blogging hiatus as I would like to focus on my jewelry craft work. Hence, I will not be taking in requests for reviews of any nature in the future. If you do have queries on my jewelry work instead, please get in touch via email : oon.adeline@gmail.com

Monday, March 10, 2014

[Recipe] Chicken Chop Hor Fun


Oh I am, by all means, trying to re-create my favorite chicken chop hor fun at Changi Village. Of course, it doesn't taste exactly the same, otherwise I'll be that famous hawker there! Something was missing. Perhaps pork lard?  But I'm not one that will go out my way to prepare pork lard, nor have I used it in any of my home cooking. However, I think this was a good meal for the family. A sign of a good meal is when there is no leftover. (or maybe it was a sign that the food was not enough)

Preparation time : approx.30 mins   Serves : 4 - 5

I bought 2 packets of commercially packed kway teow from the chilled section at the supermarket, about 400gm each packet. Blanched and set aside.

Ingredients needed to marinade the chicken :
- 2 boneless chicken thighs
- 2 dashes of sesame oil
- 2 dashes of pepper (or adjust to your liking)
- 2 tbsp light soya sauce

Leave to marinade for at least half and hour before cooking them.

Coating to fry the chicken :
- 1 egg, beaten
- corn flour

I used the airfryer for this. If you have one and choose to use it too, pre-heat the fryer first at 180 degrees celcius. Lay foil paper in the basket just before you fry the chicken, to help with easier clean up. Otherwise, you can choose to use your conventional oven or deep fry. I'm too chicken to deep fry in my kitchen.

Method :
- coat each piece of chicken in the egg and then lightly coat it in corn flour. Shake of excess flour before placing it in the basket. Skin side up.


- "fry" it for 12 minutes then turn the chicken, and "fry" it for another 8 minutes.
- Set aside.

Ingredients for the gravy :
- caixin or xiao bai cai vegetables (Amount at your discretion)
- A few pieces of black chinese mushrooms. Soaked in warm water, and sliced when it's soften. Save the mushroom stock as part of your flavoring for the gravy.
-1 tbsp minced garlic
- 2 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp light soya sauce
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 rice bowls of water
- A few stalks of spring onions for garnishing

 
Cooking the gravy :
- fry the garlic till fragrant
- add mushrooms and vegetables, continue to stir fry.
- add oyster sauce, light soya sauce, sugar, salt, pepper and water. Let it simmer.
- Add cornflour to thicken the gravy.

Before serving, prepare a portion of kway teow onto a plate and scoop sufficient amount of gravy on it before giving it a good mix. Then place the chicken, mushrooms and vegetables on top. 

Garnish with spring onions and serve hot. 

Enjoy!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My good friend Diana, from the  Domestic Goddess Wannabe, and I had so much fun linking up with each other on our different cooking style of "hei bi hiam" some time back that we decided to challenge ourselves this round, to cook different dishes comprising of kway teow as it's main ingredient. 

Diana is a food blogger, an excellent home chef and an inspirational baker. You will not want to miss what she has whipped up with her drool-worthy kway teow recipe! 

http://www.thedomesticgoddesswannabe.com/2014/03/shredded-chicken-hor-fun.html


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
Till the next post, have a blessed week!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Adeline :)
    I was trying to google how many calories the Changi Village chicken chop hor fun contains, and I chanced upon your recipe! How delightful!
    Now I can make this for the coming weekend ;) Thanks!
    - Christina @ Baking Bees

    ReplyDelete

I love comments on my post and thank you in advance for responding! All comments will be moderated before publishing just so that the spammers don't get in the way.

AddThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

.