Hello! Thanks for visiting my blog.

I am on a blogging hiatus as I would like to focus on my jewelry craft work. Hence, I will not be taking in requests for reviews of any nature in the future. If you do have queries on my jewelry work instead, please get in touch via email : oon.adeline@gmail.com

Tuesday, October 8, 2013

[Recipe] Fried Hokkien Mee

 
 
Truth be told, this dish often tastes so good when we get from our local hawkers because of the pork lard that they use to fry the noodles. My home cooked version does not have pork lard because ermmm, I've honestly never handled them before and have no intention to! 

My homecooked fried hokkien mee version is equally flavorful. Thanks to the prawn and pork soup stock that I've used. As I couldn't get fresh-looking squid the day I prepared this, it is regretfully, one ingredient short. Though I've replaced it with fish cake slices which my children very much prefer.

Estimated total time to prepare : 2 hours  Makes : 5 servings

Ingredients :
- 1 portion of pork belly, sliced thinly (about 150 grams)
- 300 grams medium fresh prawns
- 1 packet fresh thick vermicelli (or laksa bee hoon)
- 1 packet fresh yellow noodles
- 2 pcs of fish cake, lightly pan fried and sliced
- 3 eggs (or 2 eggs, if you prefer)
-  a few stalks of spring onions, cut into finger lengths
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon light soya sauce
- salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp cooking oil

Preparation :
1) Boil the whole piece of pork belly with about 2 soup bowls of water with a pinch of salt. Leave it to boil till tender, for about 1 hour.
2) When done, take out the meat and add in the prawns into the pork stock to cook for about 10 minutes.
3) Take out the prawns and de-shell/de-vein them when cooled. Don't discard the prawn heads and shell after they are de-shelled. Put them back into the stock and continue to let it simmer for another hour or so. Add a tsp of salt to the stock.
4) Loosen and blanch the noodles before frying this dish.

How to cook :
1) fry the garlic till fragrant and add the noodles, together with the fish sauce and light soya sauce. Toss the noodle till well mixed and transfer them out into a bowl.
2) In the same wok, add some oil to fry the egg till fragrant and scramble them.
3) Add in the other ingredients : prawns, pork, fish cake and spring onion. Fry for a bit.
4) Add in the noodles, mix it with the ingredients and add about 2 rice bowls of soup stock. (you can add more if you prefer a wetter version of hokkien mee)
5) Cover the wok and let it simmer for about 3-5 minutes so that the flavors can be absorbed in the noodles.
6) Serve hot with fried shallot topping and sambal chilli.
7) Enjoy!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
This post is part of a blog train series hosted by Beanie N Us. In this series, moms have taken the challenge to share recipes that relates to a certain dialect.
 
Up next is Diana of  www.thedomesticgoddesswannabe.com. She will be sharing her recipe for Easy Taro Rice - Rice stir-fried with pork, dried shrimps, mushrooms and yam (taro). 
 
 
 
 
 
  
 Hop on over to view the list of contributors on this blog train for more yummy-licious home cooked food! 

 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
Till the next post, have a blessed week!

1 comment:

  1. The only mixed-noodle dish that I take. I love it with the stock is rich and you can take the 'wok hei'. Thanks for sharing AC :) I will try (without the pork!) and tag you!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments on my post and thank you in advance for responding! All comments will be moderated before publishing just so that the spammers don't get in the way.

AddThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

.