Hello! Thanks for visiting my blog.

I am on a blogging hiatus as I would like to focus on my jewelry craft work. Hence, I will not be taking in requests for reviews of any nature in the future. If you do have queries on my jewelry work instead, please get in touch via email : oon.adeline@gmail.com

Friday, July 5, 2013

Salted Egg Prawns


I remember the first time I tried this dish at a zhi-char stall, I fell madly in love with it. This dish is not that salty as the name suggests because only the salted egg yolk is used. If you are familiar with salted eggs, the egg whites are usually the part that is the salty culprit.

Ingredients :
10 medium sized prawns (shelled or de-shelled. Mine was partially de-shelled, leaving only the head and tail)
2 salted egg yolks (Boiled, mash the yolks and set aside.)
curry leaves (portion at your discretion)
1 egg (beaten) add and some pepper in it
Some plain flour or corn flour
1 tbsp oyster sauce (optional)
1 tbsp butter
2 tbsp cooking oil

Method :
- Heat up cooking oil in pan. Coat the prawns with egg and then with flour. Pan fry till crisp. Set aside.
- In a fresh pan, heat butter and add the curry leaves.
- Once fragrant, add in the mashed egg yolks and continue to fry till it becomes bubbly. 
(you may add oyster sauce at this point too for additional flavor. I didn't add into mine because I personally wouldn't want it to be too salty)
- Add in the cooked prawns and mix well.
- Serve. Best eaten piping hot!

Time taken to cook : 25 minutes.

My husband and I enjoyed this dish very much! Try it, enjoy and let me know how it turned out for you!

p.s. what would you do with the salted egg whites? I didn't have a clue but to consume it plainly with rice!
 
 
Till the next post, have a blessed week!

Linking up with : 

7 comments:

  1. Wow. This looks exactly like the ones I could get from the zhi char place!!!! Evil photo. I need to have some later!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wah that's the best compliment! :) Thanks!

      Delete
  2. This is one of my favourite zhi char dish too! But oh the calories! Will love to try this at home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Susan that's why, home cooked version not that much calories compared to those at the zhi char!

      Delete
  3. Hey Ade! I tried this today for lunch but somehow didn't manage to taste the salted yolk at all :( something went wrong :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Will try this some day since we are the prawn loving family too =)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments on my post and thank you in advance for responding! All comments will be moderated before publishing just so that the spammers don't get in the way.

AddThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

.