Hello! Thanks for visiting my blog.

I am on a blogging hiatus as I would like to focus on my jewelry craft work. Hence, I will not be taking in requests for reviews of any nature in the future. If you do have queries on my jewelry work instead, please get in touch via email : oon.adeline@gmail.com

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

What Is My Handmade Worth?



How a handmade is priced says a lot about the crafter about how they value their work. The cost of materials, the time spent painstakingly putting it all together with the countless communication with the buyer are all part of a crafter's considerations when it's time to price an item. 

I, for one, totally dig my work but when it comes to pricing, "time" is probably the only factor that is difficult for me to measure into dollars.

There have always been a burning question for me by friends and acquaintances on why I don't charge higher rates for my handmades. I believe there is no single formula or technique that will give a range of how an item needs to be priced. Sometimes if its a straight forward creation, I do not even factor the time I take to make it. While some creations were given more time investment thus will be priced accordingly to it's value.

My shop's slogan portrays "chic lifestyle jewelries" which is highly reflective in my creations. To me, affordability is key.  There will be some crafters who price their creations sky high also because of hidden costs like domain spaces, advertising, checkout carts and high end packaging. Perhaps it is one of my reasons that I can keep my prices affordable - because I have minimal hidden costs.

There will always be buyers that think I am charging too high and those who will say otherwise. Ultimately, I feel that enjoying what I do and fulfilling my personal satisfaction matters more. Making huge profits have never been part of the plan on why I started this creative journey. And I don't think it will be a factor for a long time to come.
  

Till the next post, have a blessed week!


Linking up with :
MummyMOO

11 comments:

  1. it's always hard to put prices on things, but I do think it's quite personal as people always value things differently. some value $$ more, while others like yourself value the joy you get out of your work and others appreciating it more.

    Ai @ Sakura Haruka

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love how you just put things into perspective for me. :)

      Delete
  2. *cough*

    "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, so very simple, that's creativity."

    and sometimes, you can't put a price to that :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree. :) But oh the joys of it is really unmeasurable in monetary term.

      Delete
  3. You've made looking chic affordable for poor old me! hehe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Think this also reflects your character. You charge what you think is enough. You are not greedy, but give thanks for what you have. That's fantastic! I'd certainly be back for more! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wah so well said Pamela! Love it how you noticed me like that. :p

      Delete
  5. thanks for sharing! btw~ i nominated u for the "beautiful mama blog award!" click to find out more and accept the nomination! http://mommysboymusings.com/blog/2013/03/01/beautiful-mama-blog-award/

    ReplyDelete

I love comments on my post and thank you in advance for responding! All comments will be moderated before publishing just so that the spammers don't get in the way.

AddThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

.