Hello! Thanks for visiting my blog.

I am on a blogging hiatus as I would like to focus on my jewelry craft work. Hence, I will not be taking in requests for reviews of any nature in the future. If you do have queries on my jewelry work instead, please get in touch via email : oon.adeline@gmail.com

Monday, October 1, 2012

[Guest Post] Fabric Crafting Fun!

Since I started blogging, it has always been part of my plan to feature some awesome mommy crafters I've met at SMB because it feels like I can connect with them in that crafty sort of way.  I am so pleased and absolutely thrilled to finally having Jean from Jean Stitch over to guest post for me today!

I got to know Jean a bit more since we've been interacting and "working" together as moderators in a private group page for the past few months. Jean is indeed a super mom to me because apart from home-schooling her children, she still finds time to do chores, blog, cook, bake and manage her blog shop! (Oh I so pale in comparison!)

Since knowing her, I've also come to appreciate fabric crafts more and almost always amazed at the intricate designs and ideas she puts into her passion.  Truly an inspiring woman to me!

Thank you Jean, for making the time and gracing my first guest post! I hope that all of you will enjoy this tutorial that she is generously sharing for my readers in the hopes that it may inspire you to try your hands at it. (*hint* great handmade Christmas gift idea!)


Here's a little tutorial on how I make my fabric tag. These are pretty easy and fun to make... so let's get started.


These are what you will need to get started:
 
I used plain linen for the front and some of my favorite cotton fabric as the back for the above photo.
(You can also use plain cotton to make, f you have any).
1 piece front and back fabric : 7.5cm x 12.5cm
1 piece soft batting : 7.5cm x 12.5cm
1 piece heart shape to appliqué (or any shape you like)
Embroidery floss (I used different color for each piece)
Hole puncher for fabric Eyelets, Natural Yarn/Twine, Buttons, Ribbons (I used rik rak of different color)

*Use 1/4" seam allowance throughout this tutorial.*

The how to:



  • Step 1: Cut out the shape of the tag by snipping off the two corners. Do the same for the back and batting.













  • Step 2: Now, start with the embroidery. Write the word you want using a fabric pen. I wrote 'Love'. Using the embroidery floss, I hand embroidered the word through the front fabric and the batting.












  • Step 3: Applique is next (shown above). I used the zig zag stitch from the machine to bind it.



















  • Step 4: Place the back fabric with right sides facing each other, stitch all the way around and leave an opening at the bottom so that you can turn it right side out. Remember to push all the corners out and iron them flat.
  • Step 5: Do a slip stitching at the opening before top stitch all around for a neat look. Add the rik rak and button (just for fun of it) and you will see that it changes the look of the tag a bit.
  •  
  • Step 6: (Not shown here) Use a fabric puncher and punch a hole on top and clipped it tight with an eyelet. Tie a yarn or twine and you will have your fabric tag or bookmark! I am not into scrapbooking but I cannot resist these pretty little things.

If you have any questions at all, please drop me an email at jeanstitch@gmail.com
 
Happy stitching!! ~ jean.


For more of Jean's handmade items or customization, please visit her online store.
 
Till the next post, have a blessed week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments on my post and thank you in advance for responding! All comments will be moderated before publishing just so that the spammers don't get in the way.

AddThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

.